Ballebro færgekro (ballebro Ferry Inn) was built in 1729 as a farm at the ferry landing Ballebro AND IN 1870, a Licence was granted to run it as an inn. OVER THE YEARS, THOUSANDS OF TRAVELLERS HAVE RESTed AND had A GOOD MEAL before taking the brief, but picturesque crossing that departed from here. PASSENGERS SAVED MANY MILes ON THE bumpy and dusty road by TAKing the FERRY both to and from the island of ALS.
the LORENZen FAMILY HAve run the property SINCE 1729 AND FOLLOWED THE Changes presented by the WORLD. IN THE OLD DOCUMENTS there is permission FOR a distillery, a BREWery, as well as a BAKERY that no longer EXISTs.
due to ILLNESS, THE LAST MAN ON Skansen (hans Jørgen Lorenzen) had to stop as an innkeeper in 1990 AND SOLD THE business to Hans Michael Jebsen, RHEDERIET Jebsen A/S, Aabenraa.
FROM 1993 To 1996, Ballebro Færgekro underwent a careful restoration/REBUILDING by THE NEW OWNER.
OLD PICTURES AND PAINTINGS, as well as STORIES WERE STUDied AND WITH DEEP RESPECT FOR THE VERY OLD BUILDING, the inn WAS taken BACK IN TIME TO HOW IT may have looked - BUT ACTUALLY NEVER did...
AND NOW THE inn is a PLACE WHERE HISTORY MEETs WITH THE BEAUTIFUL countryside just OUTside OF the WINDOWS AND makes A lovely EXCURSION destination.
the Ferry inn around 1965
Færgekroen ca. 1965
IT IS BELIEVED THAT IT WAS THE knight MOGENS HARDER who started THE FIRST crossing. THE REASON it WAS from here WAS THAT IT IS the narrowest point on the fjord AND MOGENS HARDER HAD LAND ON BOTH SIDES OF the Fjord. it is known THAT THERE HAs BEEN a ferry service between Hardeshøj AND Ballebro dating back to 1683, where the route is plotted on A map.
In the 1720s, the ferryman had 3 boats to satisfy demand. TWO big ones FOR wagons AND HORSES AND A small one TO carry PASSENGERS over in.
Until then, PASSENGERS were rowed over ALS FJORD. In good weather, it took about fifteen minutes, BUT if THE WEATHER WAS bad, it COULD TAKE OVER AN HOUR TO ROw OVER AND IT only took a little wind to make it TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE to cross.
AT that time THERE WAS NO REAL timetable, so they sailed WHEN NECESSARY. there COULD BE MANY Trips in one DAY. IF THERE WERE PEOPLE at Ballebro to carry over, A plank was put up WHEN the "ferry" was to come TO Ballebro. A SMALL plank FOR A SMALL BOAT AND A BIG plank FOR A big BOAT.
THIS "departure spot" WAS where THE BEAUTIFUL ballroom is TODAY, OFFERing DANCing AND PLEASURE.
MANY GOOD STORIES FOLLOW WITH the SMALL THINGS found here. THE BIG TREE on the LAWN down by the waterfront. THE LITTLE Flood sign IN THE WALL on THE OLD retirement property AND THE STORY OF the ESCAPE route OF THE OLD COUPLE WHO had to crawl out through the window …
we don’t have any GHOSTs, but please study THE OLD PAINTINGS AND LET YOUR IMAGINATION blossom.